Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sit Yo Ass Down...

Lots has happened in the past YEAR - namely that I have neglected to post ANYTHING here.

Well, we (Joy & Matt) are expecting our first child together, and the nesting bug waited until week 19 to kick in full swing.  My husband now finds himself making midnight WalMart runs for paintbrushes and drop cloths, as I spin through the house in a whirlwind of projects and crafts.

The baby's room is on hold until we get the old game room furniture out of there and find out what gender we're expecting, but I can't take staring at blank walls anymore.  Here's a few projects I've done in the past few months...

SOFA:
Mad Men style. Word.
Ah, the gold couch - this thing has probably seen more seamen than the whole of the US Navy, and has been reupholstered numerous times.  When I started ripping off the older-than-me crushed gold velvet, I found a surprise - a fairly nice burlap woven underlayer:



 No, not this - this is the underside, which was already started by my cats.  Thanks, assholes.
 See?  1979 was the last time it was RE-upholstered.  Yikes.
Sweeney cat claims the couch for England and the queen.
I left the burlap, and got new foam to replace the sagging, stained, wouldn't-sit-on-it-bare-assed cushions:
These things - which make great dog beds, but not fit for human use...
I covered the foam with a soft canvas dropcloth (cheaper than custom fabric and actually very soft) and even had enough left to make back cushions, too, and the cats love it.  Again, assholes.


The finished project - the cushions I fashioned from leftover fabric from my dining room chairs which is fitting since these rooms kind of blend together.  What you can't see here is that the drop cloth actually extends along the sides and back of the entire sofa - also the chaise on the opposite side of the room. Its a temporary fix until we can afford real furniture like big kids, but I'm happy with the earthy tone it brings to the living room. :)

Total Cost - Grrrrr, the foam.  If you're going to go this route, get as many coupons as you can - sh*t's expensive.  All in all, it was about $300 for the foam, cushions, staples, and drop cloths.


MAILBOX:

This is our wall-mounted mailbox - AFTER I started cleaning it - it was cobweb/dead bug central before I took it off the wall.  One of those frequently overlooked accent pieces that finally just frustrated me to the point of action.


I really liked the medallion on the front and wanted to keep it a central focus.  I have no idea what color it was supposed to be (gold? bronze?).

Black like my soul. Lol, kisses.
 After thoroughly de-bugging and de-webbing it, I sprayed the whole thing black again, with some spray I happened to have lying around...


With a corner/edger, I ran over the medallion with this bright teal/green I also had on hand for some random reason.  Total cost - $0!  And it looks a hundred times better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment