Monday, September 1, 2014

Poop Table and the Spindle Chairs of Tomorrow

In the move, our table went from a barely used and cluttered catch-all in our windowless cave of a dining room, to our only functional eating table (as our kitchen is much smaller and we ditched the tiled table in the breakfast nook).  Only then did all its flaws become glaringly apparent, and a constant eyesore I was forced to gaze upon daily, illuminated by my much-loved bright windowed home.

Hi. I'm Poop Table.
Meet Poop Table (above, without it's 3 extension leaves).  I've lovingly nicknamed it's pre-remodeled condition as Poop Table, because someone prior to me, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the best way to accent the yellowed table legs was with gold splatter paint...

...and there's no possible way that could look like poop splatter, right?
But the table was structurally good and has great curves.  Plus is comfortably seats up to 8 (10 in a pinch) and my inner hostess was screaming "Keeeeeeeep Ittttttt."  That, and we can't afford new furniture right now.

The top of the table had also seen better days:


Peeling varnish, ring marks and stuck on newspaper (god only knows where that came from).  Add a few mismatched spindle-chairs in What-Was-I-Thinking-Ivory and I-Give-Up Original Oak:



I loooove the Federal Era colonial-style spindle chairs - I think I originally got 4 of them for $50.  And Poop Table was technically free with the purchase of these two chairs:


That look WAY better in pictures than they do in person.  I was going to try and restore them, but upon further inspection:

That can't be good...

I tried, I really did:





Then this happened:

CHAIR. Y U DO DIS.
And my Give-A-Shitometer went to negative 12.  So they are being remodeled into kindling (j/k, just being junked on the curb), and now we have four matching chairs instead of six mismatched ones.

I decided to go black and white to match our gray and white dining room with the brushed nickel chandelier.  I'm quite pleased with the color, especially considering what I started with.  Now I just need some kind of protective coating on the table top to make it uniform and keep it looking decent.

My finished dining room set! I'm pleased with the results. :)

Before...
After!



















Before...
After!
Before...
After!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I used Krylon spray paint in black satin and Rustoleum spray paint in white satin for the legs. Used mineral spirits to give it a cleaning first, which partially stripped the varnish from the table top.

      Delete